Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Baby Fog {Day 6}

Wow.
This first week is hard.
Harder than I ever imagined. No one can prepare you for it though.
Tru is amazing, I find myself staring at him and when we're not nursing or cuddling I miss him being with me.
Lots and lots of tearful joy has been shed here at casa de Jech.

Nursing has been a lot harder than I expected. Luckily he's a very eager and patient nurser as my milk still hasn't fully come in.
*Something* tells me we're nearing the end of that road block. (please God, please)

We had our first outting yesterday- to the pediatrician and pharmacy!
My OB called in a script of reglan to help my milk come in, and Truman's first pediatrician visit went really well. He's down 3 oz since leaving the hospital and since my milk is/was still MIA we are to continue supplementing with formula as needed.

I was devastated the 1st night we got home and I nursed for 4 hours straight and could NOT satisfy him. He was crying, shaking, lip quivering--- you could have killed me dead, I felt like I was at the lowest of the low. I can't satisfy my baby, I'm not enough, I failed, my biology failed etc.
I thought maybe it was my latch so I had my friend Natalie come over and see if she could help as she's an experienced nurser.
There I sat in a robe so beyond swollen from fluids (a whole other issue) sobbing my eyes out (to put it mildly) Natalie and I tried repositioning, the pacey, pumping you name it.
James and I called the after hours clinic and that's when they suggested formula to satisfy him. So we did what's best for Tru and it helped him sleep and everything. :-/
I do firmly believe its hurting his tummy as he's got enough gas to fuel a rocket ship. Since Thursday we've practiced for hours and hours and his latch is great. My friend Jenny came over Saturday and reassured me it couldn't be any better than what he was doing.

Everyday is a little easier, we're figuring things out slowly but surely. He's the poster boy for "Titty Baby" and loves to cuddle!
We're so thankful for the family and friends who have helped us out. It really does take a village to raise a baby.

I'm also so thankful for my husband, he has been so fantastic these past few days. I have a deeper love and respect for him and I believe he feels the same way too.

10 comments:

  1. Hang in there mommy it will come now is when you learn the true meaning of patience and a mothers love is like no other !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely adorable!!! And I know how hard nursing can be. People act like it's all so natural but it takes work, both for your body and his. It's great that his latch is good though! That's been Lexi's biggest struggle, and added to me not making much milk, it's been tough. But stick it out mama. You can do this and it'll totally be worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful boy!! Happy thoughts floating your way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I promise you will soon have milk flowing like Niagara and you will have breast pads & freezer bottles full of it! I know that seems impossible at this point. I'm so proud of you for sticking it out. I think they dont tell you how hard bf'ing is at class because they dont want to scare you off. I kept some positive bf'ing material around and re-read it when I got really discouraged. Remember coconut oil is supposed to be great for sore nipples if that happens. You are such a wonderful mother & wife! Your sacrifice & hard work *and tears* will pay off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the Reglan works for you! I'm sure it will! I will say we found that the Gerber Gentle formula was easiest on Sam's stomach. He couldn't tolerate enfamil. But don't be too hard on yourself. You have the wonderful convenience of having a baby at a time when it really is okay to not be able to breastfeed. You are doing a wonderful thing by trying and sticking with it. And it will be okay if it doesn't work out. :-) You're a good momma... booby milk or not :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So enjoy reading your posts. I was just there and you're so right, it's the hardest thing you will ever do...most definitely the most rewarding. Just a suggestion, lots of water and I've heard oatmeal helps. Twice daily. Also mine never really came down, and I've been giving him formula. He's just fine. Hang in there!! Brandy deLassus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang in there! Breastfeeding is the hardest thing ever, but is also the most rewarding thing ever. You're doing the right thing by getting help from experienced people. And Truman is such a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. April,

    He is such a cutie! I am sure you are a great momma! Hang in there and I'm sure it will start happenIng! I love the update and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm soooooooooooooo late. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. April, Im at 8+ months breastfeeding baby Jagger! My bff told me to try fenugreek (you can get it at the ozark food store in fayetteville) to help increase your milk. I took it for several month before i decided to stop because i was full ALL THE TIME. Good Luck. Its the hardest thing ever! Rely on your friends and family for help! Nobody expects you to do it alone! I was told the first 3 months was hardest then its a breeze! and i agree.. Its a walk in the park now! We swore Jaggers first word would be Boobs! :) Congratulations, He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!
- April