Monday, August 27, 2012

Define Your Own Success

Recently our Fayetteville LLLI Leader, Betony suggested a book to me called Defining Your Own Success. This book is about breastfeeding challenges after a breast reduction surgery, which I've not had. The point is- it's a book on overcoming a breastfeeding challenge that's beyond your control.
In my case, Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS (a really lame hormonal thing that effects 1 in 10 women).
It pisses me off to say the least. I won't go into detail, because it's moot and perhaps way too TMI but it's been an issue since I was a teen. It gives women a hard time in several ways including fertility and also in some women, breastfeeding.
Couldn't do anything about it when Dr. Seale confirmed it while I was pregnant, however now that he's arrived we can start a plan of action.
I can deal with the symptoms, I just hate that it may be effecting my milk supply.
So I've been doing some research on latch, input/output, average weight gain for an infant, comfort nursing, sleeping while feeding, feeding times etc. and I'm feeling a HUGE sense of relief. Like 100 lbs off my shoulders, hallelujah our boy is gonna be OK kind of relief.
Thank you dear sweet, sweet kellymom.com, llli.org, nbci.ca etc. you are too kind and generous. What in the world would we do with out the Internet and this vast amount of information? Not to mention my dearest friends who have been there to answer all my crazy questions.

The point of all my rambling is this: We're defining our own success. Truman is currently one week "free" of from formula.
However, tomorrow I go in for my appointment and I have to leave Truman with my mom in the waiting room, and I am so scared he's going to scream and cry the entire time we are there. So we're going to pack a bottle to keep him happy.

After breastfeeding our little one we only have about a 20-30 minute window of him being content. Then the crying begins and the only way to soothe him is by feeding him all over again.

I thought maybe he wasn't eating enough a day but his output is like 6-8 wets and 2 very impressive poops a day.
I thought maybe I had a fore/hindmilk imbalance but his stools are not green or frothy.

So I think this is what we've got:
We've got a sleepy, high-needs baby who loves to nurse and be held (preferably by momma). He also seems to have quite a bit of gas. On the other side of the coin we've got a mom who seems to be making enough milk, may be a little slow on the flow, but seems to be doing well... And is a bit high-needs herself.
I'm not totally sure why we find ourselves nursing so much, so all we are doing is taking one moment at a time, enjoying the closeness and know that this won't last forever.

I want to close with a very happy one month birthday to our little guy!



Also T-mans birth announcements are done!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you're feeling better about the whole thing. And I'm so proud of you for keeping going. It's easy to give up! You seem to have found what works for you guys so that's great. And it will get easier as he grows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell he is gaining weight! That is awesome that you are making enough milk! You are such a trooper and I'm so proud of you for not giving up! I'm a research queen like you and I find comfort in knowledge. Its a hard battle being a mom and even if you dont feel like it you are winning!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!
- April