Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Four Weeks Young!

I can't believe our lil man is four weeks today! We weighed him last night and he weighs 8 lbs 5 oz and 22.5" long now!
We've noticed he's changed in his face (cheeks mostly) and is beefing up in interesting places like his belly, hands and feet.


We've still got a couple of hurdles to cross-

I'm pretty sure I am a walking, talking pacey. When he nurses he would nurse an hour on each side if I let him. I'm not really sure how to fix this, I'm hoping this is a newborn thing and he'll eventually be interested in other things.
We've been trying a pacey with very little luck, especially if I'm the one trying to give it to him.
I'm certain this is why we're nursing almost constantly.

Found this on Kellymom.com
“You are not a pacifier; you are a Mom. You are the sun, the moon, the earth, you are liquid love, you are warmth, you are security, you are comfort in the very deepest aspect of the meaning of comfort…. but you are not a pacifier!” — Paula Yount

(made me cry)

Comfort nursing link

Next potential problem-

He does not want to be put down. He sleeps his absolute best when he's in my lap (latched or not). Same with night time. I don't know if this is a problem though, I don't really mind it. :)


Definitely a problem-

When he seems starving, and I just have nothing left for him, we give him a supplement of formula (1oz). After the bottle and properly burped we've got a content little guy, I can get dinner ready and do a bit around the house.
But shortly after that it's a whole new ballgame. He is miserable, crying, squirming, trying his best to find some relief. I end up nursing him because it's the only way we've found to stop his crying. This goes on until bedtime.
It's even the sensitive/gas & fussiness type.
Our game plan is to only supplement if absolutely necessary, and do this with the little bit of expressed milk I've been getting at night (2-3oz).
I'm really hoping to up my stash for him soon. Any tips are greatly appreciated. I only get 1/4 oz after feeding him (yikes).

Some small solutions we've found-

Sitting up seems to really help with his gas. I put him in the boppy, or up on some pillows and he does quite a bit of burping, tooting and sometimes if we're lucky... Well you know...


Also it's too inconsistent to tell but we've tried gripe water and gas drops for some relief.
I've been told this gassiness extreme slows down majorly after six weeks?
Fingers crossed!

Since T likes to be sitting up from time to time he also seems to like the "magic baby hold" and so far, the sling! We take mini-trips to the mailbox and he seems to like it!


Also we did a swaddle last night for a couple hours after eating. T fell asleep, I laid him down and he slept swaddled for a bit. James noticed he was waking up and held him while swaddled, and he slept for 45 minutes. I got a lot done in his room and got to recharge a little. Very exciting!

I hope my post doesn't come off as one big Debbie Downer. We definitely have some small things to work on, but they are small and we're lucky as can be to have a healthy baby boy.

*one more crazy lip sleeping party pic

7 comments:

  1. I see a lot of "Anderson" in the first pic. It looks like you're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right – newborns want to nurse a lot and will as long as you let them. At the beginning, I nursed Maisie on both sides and then someone told me to just let her nurse on one side. This seemed to help me a lot because then they got more of the hind milk and seemed to get fuller. But it sounds like he is sucking you dry so not sure if this will work for you. Have you tried the Mother’s Milk tea to increase your supply? I’ve got a friend that drinks it a lot (I think 5 or 6 cups a day!!) and she says it really helps to increase her supply. I think it also comes in a pill form.

    As far as pumping, if you can get him to only eat on one side at each feeding, you can pump on the other after he is done. This is what I did for the three months I was at home and by the time I went back to work I had over 550 oz of stored milk. I continued for another two months after I went back to work and got even more. Now I will tell you that every single minute of it sucked (literally! HA!) and it felt like all I did was pump but it was definitely worth it in the end. Unfortunately, as of this week I have run out of my stored supply and will have to start supplementing with some formula while she’s at daycare 

    Have you put him in a swing yet? Both of my kids loved it and would normally fall asleep for 2-4 hours at a time in it. It was a lifesaver and was the only way I could get anything done around the house. But I don’t blame you for wanting to hold the precious baby all the time!

    As far as the pacey, you might try a different kind if he’s not taking the one you have. Some babies just don’t like them, but if you can get him to take one it will make things much easier.

    Didn’t mean to make this comment quite this long! Hang in there – things will get better in a couple of weeks, I promise. And enjoy this time with him – they grow way too fast!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your comment!!!
      550 oz is unbelievable!
      Maybe once my supply gets a bit more established I can pump one side/feed the other.
      Today was probably one of the better days we've had. He slept for 1+ hour in the ring sling and I got some things done around the house!

      Delete
  3. He just loves loves his mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a doll, April. I'm sure you are an amazing mom. All the little details will work themselves out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The swaddle was my favorite! We got so much more sleep with the swaddle. This technique also helped tremendously - http://www.babyslumber.com/happiestbaby.html I think there is a video too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We watched the hot to video for Happiest Baby on the block: it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!
- April