Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Derby Pie

To say I have a relationship with food would be an understatement-It seems every recipe I've shared on here, I've also shared a memory. In this case it's the memory of my best friend, Ashley's grandmothers Derby Pie.
Spring semester, freshmen year 2004 in State Hall- two "pop punk" kiddos come back for the weekend and Ashley brings back her Nanny Mathis's Derby Pie. It was solely for me right?? right? I remember her telling me about it, and how it was one of her favorites (if not THE favorite) pie that her Nanny makes. So we dug in, and I've remembered it in the back of my head ever since then!
Flash forward 9 years later, my coworker Tina makes pies here at the store to sale... she makes the yummy, different looking- chocolate chip style pie, guess WHAT, Derby Pie!!! SCORE!!
So this Christmas, I bought some pre-made pie shells to do "whatever" with, and I found my recipe box (very dusty might I add) and found inspiration in a memory.
I've always been a bit intimated in baking, but mostly intimidated with cakes and pies. Folks, this was my first pie to ever make and let me tell you, it was "easy as pie". Definitely a good one to start off on. I hope you give it a shot if you're a novice baker as well. 

Enjoy!




Derby Pie
From : Juanita Mathis

Ingredients:
1 unbaked pie shell
1 cup white sugar
1/2 all purpose flour
1 stick butter
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 TEA vanilla extract 
1 cup chopped pecans (optional) 
6 oz chocolate chips (1/2 a bag)

Instructions: 
Preheat oven to 325 F. 
Bake pie shell for 5-6 min until it starts to bubble. Remove from oven.
 Meanwhile: 
Mix sugar & flour, set aside. 
Melt butter and let it cool for a bit, then stir in slightly beaten eggs into butter. Then add egg/butter mixture into sugar/ flour mixture. Add vanilla, nuts and chips; stir together.
Add mixture to pie shell and bake 40-45 minutes at 325 F.
Start checking around 30-35 min as cooking time may vary.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!
- April