Thursday, February 13, 2014

Meme's Mac & Cheese

Sunday nights at my parents house-
You can always count on a yummy home cooked meal by my mom, but more importantly our boy has named her, Meme (Meem).
I brought the dessert, and Meme did everything else.
---
My mom is the type that you could call her and say "Hey, we're coming over, you got anything to eat?" and lo and behold she always has something to eat! She's just like that.I aspire to be like that!
That's southern hospitality right there, y'all.
This is a dish my brother and I have ate all of our lives, it's a keeper. So I get to share it with you.
Fresh  from the 1976 Better Homes & Gardens New Cook Book, and as always modified by mom.


Meme's Mac and Cheese
1 1/2 C Elbow Macaroni*
3 TBS Butter
2 TBS All-Purpose Flour
1/2 TEA Salt
Dash Pepper
 2 C Milk
1/4 C Finely chopped onion (optional) 
8 oz / 2 C Sharp American Cheese**, cubed. 

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees 
Cook Macaroni in boiling water, drain. 
Meanwhile in saucepan, melt butter, blend in flour and salt and pepper.
Add Milk and stir until thick and bubbly. 
Add onion and cheese, stir until melted.
Mix cheese mixture with macaroni
place in 9x11 or 8x8 (depending on how much macaroni you prepared)
Bake 35-40 Minutes

* Meme does 3 C of Mac to cut down the creaminess and make the dish serve more.
** Use the cheese you prefer, Meme likes a Mild Cheddar or even a Velveeta. 

There you have it folks, easy peasy Mac and Cheesy. ;)
Thanks Meme. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment!
- April